Roger D. Kirby
The University of Nebraska held its inaugural Women in Physics Conference October 31-November 1, 2009, organized by MRSEC faculty member Axel Enders. Seventy five women undergraduates in physics and their faculty advisors from institutions around the country attended. Most of the attendees presented a talk or a poster on their original research.
Highlights of the WoPHY09 Conference included:
- plenary talks by invited speakers from midwestern universities
- invited presentations by undergraduate students upon nomination by their faculty mentor
- career workshop where women faculty shared their experiences with the participants
- poster sessions and conference banquets, for the students to discuss science and connect with each other
- Mueller Planetarium Show: “In search of our cosmic origins”
- Lab tours at UNL’s Physics Department
This research is supported by the National Science Foundation, Division of Materials Research, Materials Research Sciences and Engineering Program, Grant 0820521.
Highlight InfoDate: March 2010