Middle- and High-School Science Teachers
Nanoscience Research Opportunity
at the University of Nebraska-Lincoln
The Materials Research Science and Engineering Center (MRSEC) at the University of Nebraska–Lincoln (UNL) invites applications from middle-and high-school science teachers to become engaged in research during the summer of 2017.
Funded by the National Science Foundation, the UNL MRSEC conducts state-of-the-art interdisciplinary experimental and theoretical research on Polarization and Spin Phenomena in Nanoferroic Structures, involving faculty and students from multiple STEM departments.
Part of MRSEC’s mission is to provide research experiences and opportunities to faculty and students from high schools, colleges, and universities outside UNL. This is your opportunity to become involved in one of our research thrusts, including:
- Functional magnetoelectric materials and interfaces
- Molecular-level magnetoelectrics
- Polarization-enabled functional materials and properties
- Low-dimensional molecular ferroelectrics
It is anticipated that the interaction between MRSEC, participating teachers and their classes will continue during the 2017-2018 academic year.
Teachers will receive a summer stipend of $1,000/week for up to 6 weeks of full-time commitment to their project.
Please visit our website at mrsec.unl.edu for a full listing of research groups and past projects, and contact MRSEC Education/Outreach Director Prof. Rebecca Lai with any questions.
Applications should be submitted by email to MRSEC Assistant Director for Education and Outreach Jocelyn Bosley (firstname.lastname@example.org). Application materials should be combined into a single PDF file under the name “LASTNAME SCHOOL 2017 RET application.pdf,” and should include the following information:
• Full curriculum vitae
• List of science and math courses taken during the applicant’s undergraduate curriculum
• Brief statement (no more than one page) of what the applicant expects to gain from this opportunity
• Letter of support from the school
• Contact information for one reference who can speak to the applicant’s interest and ability in science
Application deadline: March 15, 2017
For more information, please contact:
Professor Rebecca Lai
Department of Chemistry
University of Nebraska-Lincoln
Lincoln, NE 68588-0304
Tel: (402) 472-5340